Licensing FAQ

How much does licensing cost?

Nothing! Licensing is free, you just have to pass a test and then you will be licensed.

How hard is it to get a Ham Radio License?

In general, radio communications is a pretty complicated subject, one that’s impossible to cover in a single article. That being said, the licensing process itself is actually pretty easy.

Over the last decade, the testing process has been simplified. Some of the past requirements, such as learning Morse code, are no longer required to obtain a license. Anyone, with a little bit of practice, can get their license.

How do I Start?

The Technician class license is the entry-level license for new ham radio operators. From there you can upgrade your license to one of the other two license classes. General, this license will allow you to operate on all of the Bands in the technician class and allows you increased privileges on the HF bands. Once you have passed the General License you can upgrade to the Highest class which is Extra Class. This License gives you full privileges to all of the radio spectrum allocated to ham radio operators.

What does the test cover?

To earn the Technician license, you need to pass a 35 question examination. The test covers basic radio theory, FCC regulations, and basic operating practices. The license allows you to access the  VHF, UHF and some of the HF bands.

Where can I take a license test?

MARA conducts testing every fourth Saturday of the month at American Red Cross Office at 851 E. Westpoint Drive, Suite #B9 Wasilla at 7pm. You can check our calendar for scheduled test dates. Bring ID, copy of our license if your are upgrading and your FRN# from the FCC, if this is your first license.  For questions please contact Ken Hudson KL2HF our VEC coordinator at